How to SIM unlock the HTC One mini 2 for free
So, you’re the proud owner of the new HTC One mini 2. You love the handset’s performance, the incredible audio quality from the BoomSound speakers and the camera’s not half bad. The only problem is that you purchased an HTC One mini 2 with a locked SIM slot and now you want to use a SIM from another service provider.
Luckily, there are several different ways that you can get your hands on a SIM unlock code for the HTC One mini 2. If you’re willing to pay, you can get a SIM unlock code for the HTC One mini 2 for only $12.95. But why pay for a code when you can get it for free? No, there isn’t a magic unlock code for the HTC One mini 2, but most service providers will be more than willing to hands over the code for your phone as long as you meet a few of their requirements. The HTC One mini 2 is now available from any service providers in the US (unless you count Verizon’s HTC One Remix), but we thought we’d share a few examples of US and UK service provider SIM unlocking policies.
Example SIM unlock policies
- O2: handset’s can be unlocked after 12 months for a £15 fee
- AT&T: account has been active and is in good standing for at least 60 days; phone is paid off or service commitment has been fulfilled.
- T-Mobile: phone has been paid off.
- Vodafone: handset’s can be unlocked after 12 months for a £20 fee
- Sprint: account has been active and is in good standing for at least 90 days.
If you do not meet the criteria required by your service provider, a third-party SIM unlock service for your HTC One mini 2 is your only other option.
Obtain your HTC One mini 2 SIM unlock code
In order to SIM unlock your HTC One mini 2, you must have your IMEI number and a microSIM card from another service provider.
- Locate your handset IMEI number by dialing *#06#
- Write down your IMEI number
- Call your service provider
- Ask customer service for the SIM unlock code for your HTC One mini 2
- If you meet your service provider’s SIM unlock policies, customer service will ask for your IMEI number and will fill out a request form. Once the SIM unlock code request form for your HTC One mini 2 is processed, the code will be emailed to you (typically 1-3 days later)
SIM unlock the HTC One mini 2
- Once you receive your SIM unlock code, turn off your HTC One mini 2
- Remove the nanoSIM card from the phone
- Insert a nanoSIM card from another service provider and turn the HTC One mini 2 back on
- When prompted, enter the SIM unlock code provided by your service provider
- Enjoy your HTC One mini 2 on any GSM carrier of your choice.