How to SIM unlock the HTC Desire 816 for free
The HTC Desire 816 is one of the best budget phones currently on the market, but the phone is pretty much useless if you’re traveling if your SIM slot if locked down to the carrier you purchased the phone from. Yes, you can travel the world and use your service providers “great roaming deals” which add up to a a full month’s wage, or you can get the SIM unlock code for your HTC Desire 816 and pop in a SIM card from any other GSM service provider on the globe.
While there is only one SIM unlock code that will work for your HTC Desire 816, there are a few ways you can track it down. Services like HTC SIM Unlock are able to track down the SIM unlock code for the HTC Desire 816 for a fee, you also have the option of getting the SIM unlock code from your service provider. The HTC desire 8116 is currently sold by Virgin Mobile in the US, but Virgin Mobile’ currently policy does not allow its customers to SIM unlock their phones. If you want a Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 816 SIM unlock code you will have to purchase it from a third-party. Below are a few sample SIM unlock code policies from a handful of service providers in the US and Europe.
Example SIM unlock policies
- O2: handset’s can be unlocked after 12 months for a £15 fee
- AT&T: account has been active and is in good standing for at least 60 days; phone is paid off or service commitment has been fulfilled.
- T-Mobile: phone has been paid off.
- Vodafone: handset’s can be unlocked after 12 months for a £20 fee
- Sprint: account has been active and is in good standing for at least 90 days.
If you do not meet the criteria required by your service provider, a third-party SIM unlock service for your HTC Desire 816 is your only other option.
Obtain your HTC Desire 816 SIM unlock code
In order to SIM unlock your HTC Desire 816, you must have your IMEI number and a nanoSIM card from another service provider.
- Locate the IMEI number for your HTC Desire 816 by dialing *#06#
- Write down your IMEI number
- Call your service provider
- Ask customer service for the SIM unlock code for your HTC Desire 816
- If you meet your service provider’s SIM unlock policies, customer service will ask for your IMEI number and will fill out a request form. Once the SIM unlock code request for your HTC One Desire 816 is processed, the code will be emailed to you (typically 1-3 days later)
SIM unlock the HTC Desire 816
- Once you receive your SIM unlock code, turn off your HTC Desire 816
- Remove the nanoSIM card from the phone
- Insert a nanoSIM card from another service provider and turn the HTC Desire 816 back on
- When prompted, enter the SIM unlock code provided by your service provider
- Enjoy your HTC Desire 816 on any GSM carrier of your choice.