How to SIM unlock the HTC One for free
Like many of you, we’re ecstatic about the new HTC One. If you purchased an unlocked international phone, you can pop in any SIM card you want and go about your business. But what options are available to those who purchased a subsidized HTC One through a service provider with a locked SIM slot?
Luckily, there are several different ways that you can get your hands on a SIM unlock code for the HTC One. If you’re willing to pay, you can get a SIM unlock code for the HTC One for only $12.95. But we have a better solution. If you want to unlock your carrier branded HTC One without opening your wallet, call your service provider and simply ask them for the SIM unlock code to your HTC One. The only catch is that each service provider has a few criteria which must be met before they give up the unlock code for the device.
US service provider US unlock policies
AT&T: account has been active and is in good standing for at least sixty days; phone is paid off or service commitment has been fulfilled.
T-Mobile: phone has been paid off.
Sprint: account has been active and is in good standing for at least 90 days.
If you do not meet the criteria required by your service provider, a third-party SIM unlock service for your HTC One is your only other option.
Obtain your HTC One SIM unlock code from your service provider
In order to SIM unlock your HTC One, you must have your IMEI number and a microSIM card from another service provider.
- Locate your handset IMEI number within Settings > About Phone > Phone Identity > IMEI
- Write down your IMEI number
- Call your service provider: (AT&T: 1-800-331-0500; T-Mobile: 1-800-866-2453; Sprint: 1-888-211-4727)
- Ask customer service for the SIM unlock code for your HTC One
- Customer service will ask for your IMEI number and will fill out a request form. Once the SIM unlock code request form for your HTC One is processed, the code will be emailed to you (typically 1-3 days later)
SIM unlock the HTC One
- Once you receive your SIM unlock code, turn off your HTC One
- Remove the microSIM card from the phone
- Insert a microSIM card from another service provider and turn the HTC One back on
- When prompted, enter SIM unlock code provided by your service provider
- Enjoy your HTC One on any GSM carrier of your choice.