Verizon posts HTC Thunderbolt Android 4.0.4 update details - Ice Cream Sandwich roll-out imminent? -
It’s been a while since HTC has talked about the Android 4.0.4 update for Verizon’s HTC Thunderbolt. The Ice Cream Sandwich update for the device was originally expected to launch by the end of August of last year. Unfortunately, the update never materialized, leaving HTC Thunderbolt owners wondering if the update would ever be released.
Back in December, HTC tweeted that the ICS update for the Thunderbolt “will be here soon,” but it’s always hard to know when “soon” really is. Fortunately, we have concrete evidence that the Android 4.0.4 update for the HTC Thunderbolt may be only a few days away. Yesterday afternoon, Verizon posted two Android 4.0.4 update documents on the HTC Thunderbolt’s support page which show off some of the new features that will be included in the software build.
Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update, 7.02.605.06 710RD; Baseband: 8K:2.02.00.1117r 9K:0.02.02.1211r, for your Thunderbolt™ by HTC. This update includes an upgrade to the Android Operating System 4.04 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and HTC Sense 3.6.
We’re still missing a release date for the Thunderbolt’s Android 4.0.4 update, but we wouldn’t be surprised if the update started rolling within the next few days. We know a lot of HTC fan are mad that the update has taken so long to roll out, but we;d like to remind you that this will be the second major update for the HTC Thunderbolt – a device which launched with Android 2.2 on board.
HTC Thunderbolt Android 4.0.4 update features
- Launch bar: The home screen now includes a customizable Launch Bar. You can easily drag apps, shortcuts and folders in or out of the launch bar for instant access from any home screen.
- Lock screen notifications: Accessing your notifications is just a swipe away, even when your device is locked. Users can now dismiss individual notifications with a simple swipe of a finger. HTC Sense provides a richer lock screen experience with more lock screen styles, shortcuts to apps and more.
- Face unlock: Easily unlock your phone with face recognition, no typing required. Alternative PIN or Password serves as additional security.
- Usage Center: Monitor your data usage all in one place. Set warning levels, check individual app usage or turn off data completely.
- Folder Creation: Easily create folders by dropping one app on top of another.
- Recent Apps: Multitask with ease using the Recent Apps feature. Easily switch applications by tapping on thumbnails or swipe away applications that you’re done with to close.
Additional updates to this software upgrade include:
- Verizon Remote Diagnostics has been added.
- New customer care solution to improve customer service experience. When a customer calls into Verizon Wireless customer care, this solution, with the customer’s permission, allows support personnel to remotely view the user’s device for device training, application demonstrations and troubleshooting.
- Improved device stability will decrease device resets.
- Verizon Apps, Blockbuster, Rhapsody, Verizon Video and Mobile IM app have been removed.