How to SIM unlock the HTC 8X for free
Buying a new phone like the HTC 8X can be exciting, but what happens if you want to take your device with you to another service provider? If you purchased an unlocked international phone, you can pop in any SIM card you want and go about your business, but things get a little tricky if you purchased your HTC 8X from AT&T, T-Mobile or a number of European service providers since the handset is locked down and is not able to make calls or access data when using a SIM card from any other service provider.
Fortunately, there are multiple solutions. If you’re willing to pay, you can get a SIM unlock code for the HTC 8X for only $12.95. But we have a better solution. If you want to unlock your HTC 8X without spending a dime, call AT&T, T-Mobile or your service provider’s customer service line and they will email you your HTC One X unlock code. The only catch is that you must have an account in good standing (60 days of active service with a pre-paid account).
In order to SIM unlock your HTC 8X, you must have your IMEI number and a microSIM card from another service provider.
Obtain your HTC 8X SIM unlock code
- Locate your handset IMEI number from the Dial Pad – dial 8#06# and the HTC 8X IMEI code will appear on screen
- Write down your IMEI number
- Call your service provider’s customer service line (AT&T: 1-800-331-0500, T-Mobile: 1-877-296-1018)
- Ask customer service for the SIM unlock code for your HTC 8X
- Customer service will ask for your IMEI number and will fill out a request form. Once the SIM unlock code request form is processed, the code will be emailed to you (typically 1-3 days later)
SIM unlock the HTC 8X
- Once you receive your SIM unlock code from your service provider, turn off your HTC 8X
- Remove the microSIM card from the phone
- Insert a microSIM card from another service provider and turn the HTC 8X back on
- When prompted, enter the SIM unlock code sent to you by your service provider
- Enjoy your HTC 8X on any GSM carrier of your choice.